Engine troubles and wet weather…somedays are like that…

We were sad to say goodbye to Santenay. Such lovely bike trails and a decent mug of Grande Creme in the square but on Saturday we knew it was time to go. So we set off around 9am, happily heading upstream towards the first lock of the day. Then, I’m afraid to say, that pesky water temperature warning light and bell started up again. Ah-ha, we thought. Just a simple matter of putting the boat into reverse and flushing out the debris that must be clogging up the intake. Nope. So we drifted on the canal for a while with the engine off then tried again. We got a few minutes of forward motion before the problem reappeared. What to do?

We decided to limp forward until we reached the next town where we could hopefully find a boat mechanic. So four locks and a few kms of hot engine and warning bells later we reached St Leger-sur-Dheune and the port de plaisance run by Locaboat. The lovely capitane made some calls and an appointment for a mechanic to visit on Monday morning. At least now we could fill up with water and do some washing. Not a bad spot either. They have a couple of great boulangeries (I prefer the one closest to the port) and a supermarket a little out of town. Plus a very nice restaurant and a pizza place. We thought we would treat ourselves to a pizza but it was fully booked!

The other thing that happened over the weekend was the weather took a turn for the worse with periods of torrential rain. A complete contrast to a few days ago when the humidity was very high as were the temperatures.

So today is Monday and we have had our mechanics visit. They tell us the impeller casing has deteriorated and will require replacing. They have done a temporary fix (glued something up, Alan tells me. Hope it was superglue!), and will call us with a price for a new one. Can’t wait. When asked how long this temporary fix will hold they did the Gallic shrug thing the French are so good at but suggested we continue on our merry way. They will try to source a replacement part and call us with the price. If we are all agreed they will travel to wherever we are and fit it. We travel so slowly it won’t be far!

We are also being moved on by Locaboat as our space has been reserved so either tomorrow or Wednesday we will have to leave and try out this ‘fix’.  The weather has been a bit cooler and very wet and we haven’t made the trip to restock our empty cupboards yet so maybe that will be tomorrow mornings job!

Here are a few pics I took around St Leger-sur-Dheune. The first one shows the local pétanque players in a weekend tournament. Right outside our window. Great view!image

image image image image image


About khodges2013

Alan and I divide our time between our apartment in Christchurch, New Zealand, and our 11.5m Dutch Cruiser, Silver Fern, on the canals in France. We started out hiring and eventually bought our boat in 2014. The two summers lifestyle is wonderful and we feel very lucky!
This entry was posted in Canal boat, highs and lows of living on a boat, Holiday 2015, Santenay, St Leger-sur-Dheune, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Engine troubles and wet weather…somedays are like that…

  1. Best of luck then with the fix! Lovely pics. Xx


  2. Caroline says:

    We had problems with our impeller in the past. It’s quite common, I think. Also, with the intake, after our first year, when it kept getting clogged, we changed the type of filter to a pan-shape type with a clear lid so you can check and clear it easily. Even so, we have had times where we’ve had to put one of those bendy pipe cleaners down to get out a short bit of stick or something that’s got stuck.


    • khodges2013 says:

      We have a clear filter too which is handy. Turns out this wasn’t a blockage. We need to replace the pump. Only €1370 for the part. Eek. The mechanics did a temporary fix which we hope will work until the end of the season. There are a lot of people here in the Génelard basin with grass clogging things up. I’ve seen 2 people today diving under their boats. Rather them than me but I think we need to buy a snorkel and mask. When I say ‘we’ I mean Alan. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s